Based on emails over the last week, we're all trying to figure out what to wear for Valentine's Day. You guys want something different. You want something pretty. Do I have any ideas?
I do! I was initially wandering around the internet and obsessing over feather mini skirts and/or ballerina tulle and was bookmarking like crazy and was just about the start pinning....but then I REALIZED SOMETHING (two things, actually):
1. Nobody wants to spend $400 on a feather skirt for Valentine's Day.
2. Tulle is tricky.
It's the end of a looong holiday season, Mamas. I don't want anything expensive or complicated, and I'll bet you don't either. Feathers - OUT. Tulle - OUT. A seriously perfect dress as low as $30? IN.
Have you heard of Rent the Runway? They rent all sorts of fabulous dresses that would normally retail from $300 - $20,000. Rental prices vary (some dresses cost a few hundred even to rent) but I wanted to take a hard look at a budget-friendly list: rentals under $50. Know what I found? Serious gorgeousness as low as $30 (for a four day rental).
Spoiler Alert: The $20,000 Giles Pegasus Gown isn't on this list.
1. Moschino Cheap and Chic Ruffle Dance Dress, rents for $40
So flirty and vintage. Add red lips and heels.
2. Robert Rodriguez Black Label All Tied Up Dress, rents for $50
This jersey dress has some extra fabric for pooch-hiding, too.
3. Halston Heritage Night Spice Dress, rents for $45
This dress is tight, but made from stretchy jersey. Love the shocking hot pink.
4. Versace Collection, Work Around the Clock Dress, rents for $30
This dress can also be worn off-the-shoulder.
1. Parker Lock and Roll Shift, rents for $50
This silk dress is one of my favs. I'd warm it up with opaque tights and over-the-knee boots.
2. Helmut Lang Shake It Up Shift, rents for $45
The pictures don't do this dress justice. This might be my top pick.
3. MSGM Raffia Diamond Shift, rents for $48
The black keeps this shift from being too sweet. I love it as-is, but you could layer this one over a turtleneck for extra warmth (and a mod vibe).
4. Thakoon Kissed by Marilyn Dress, rents for $30
Love the color and the bunching. Would slip a black moto jacket over it.
5. Missoni Keep Calm and Party On Dress, rents for $35
The side slit kills me.
6. Sachin + Babi Sneak Attack Scuba Dress, rents for $45
Appreciate the contrast panels to help define a waist.
7. Herve Leger Duplicity Contrast Dress, rents for $30
These Herve Leger bandage dresses are classics in my book.
8. Mark and James by Bagley Mischka Dance Til Daylight Dress, rents for $35
Pretty sparkles of all colors - what's not to like?
1. Nanette Lapore Balinese Dance Dress, rents for $35
Just so freaking cool.
2. Thakoon Chevron Chase Dress, rents for $30
Another one where the picture doesn't do it justice. Another fav.
3. Moschino Time For Tea Dress, rents for $30
I must be in a romantic mood, because this one keeps calling my name. I'd wear under a black leather moto jacket.
4. RVN Garden of Eden Dress, rents for $30
Love the bandana-ish print. This is a seriously striking dress.
Rent the Runway has a TON of other options....enjoy!!